Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
Diversity. Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is critical to ISB’s mission of cultivating excellence in bilingual and multicultural learning. We are committed to being an inclusive educational community, where diversity is welcomed and differences are embraced. Our community respects and values members of any race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, learning profile, language, and cultural background.
As an international school with more than 40 different nationalities, we have a global representation. Yet, this alone is not enough. There is room for us to grow - to better model anti-racism, confront and educate unconscious bias, and to actively challenge systems that enable discrimination.
It is our commitment to our community that diversity, equity, and inclusion is a priority at ISB. This is work that we do every day, because we believe in it and because it matters.
Our Commitment to DEI in Action
Some recent projects and initiatives:
- DEI Steering Committee (founded 2019)
- Community Conversations Events in the Upper School
- MS AISNE Students of Color Conference (annually since 2019)
- Student Diversity Leaders Conference (SDLC) (annually since 2017)
- AISNE signature conference for Faculty and Staff
- Regular Faculty and Staff workshops
- Workshops for Upper and Middle School students
- Upper and Middle School DEI clubs
- Creating new and reviewing internal policies with inclusion at the forefront
- Special Speakers
- Javaka Steptoe, American author and illustrator.
- Derrick Gay, Diversity and Inclusion Strategist.
- Ibram X. Kendi, author, professor, anti-racist activist, and historian of race and discriminatory policy in America.
Partners we work with
- Dr. Charmain Jackman, Harvard-trained psychologist with 23+ years in the mental health field. She is the founder of InnoPsych, Inc., an organization on a mission to disrupt racial disparities in mental health.
- Dr. Derrick Gay, international expert on diversity, equity and inclusion in schools and other institutions
- NAIS People of Color Conference, national conference for students, teachers and education leaders