IB Diploma Course Offerings
The International Baccalaureate® (IB) Diploma Programme (DP) curriculum sets out the requirements for study of the DP.
The curriculum is made up of the DP core and six subject groups.
Made up of the three required components, the DP core aims to broaden students’ educational experience and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills.
The three core elements are:
- Theory of Knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- The Extended Essay, which is a self-directed research inquiry culminating in a 4,000 word paper.
- Creativity, Activity, Service, in which students engage deeply in a variety of activities reflecting these three concepts.
The six subject groups are listed below with current course offerings*:
Group 1: Studies in language and literature
- English A Language & Literature: SL & HL
- French A Language & Literature: SL & HL
- Mandarin A Language & Literature: SL & HL
- Spanish A Language & Literature: SL & HL
- German A Literature: SL
- Russian A Literature: SL
Group 2: Language acquisition
- English B: SL & HL
- French B: SL & HL
- Spanish B: SL & HL
- German B: SL & HL
- Arabic B: SL & HL
- French ab initio
- Spanish ab initio
Group 3: Individuals and societies
- History: SL & HL
- Geography: SL
- Economics: SL & HL
Group 4: Sciences
- Biology: SL & HL
- Chemistry: SL & HL
- Physics: SL & HL
- Computer Science: SL & HL
- Environmental Systems and Societies: SL only
Group 5: Mathematics
- Mathematics: SL & HL
Group 6: The arts
- Visual Arts: SL & HL
- Theater Arts: SL & HL
- or a second course in any of the groups
* Course offerings vary by year based on enrollment.
IB students interested in theater may take ISB Theater Performance as an elective.
SL: Standard Level
HL: Higher Level
''A'' denotes first language fluency.
Ab initio courses are intended for students with no prior knowledge of the language.