Building 3: Middle & Upper School
Our classes are taught in French and English, with students functioning at a high academic level in subjects taught in either language. In addition to very challenging academics, the Middle School years are greatly enriched by abundant opportunities to participate in interdisciplinary projects, the Student Exploration Program (SEP), field trips, overnight trips, and Student Council.
Upper School students choose between the French Baccalaureate and the International Baccalaureate programs in ninth grade. Depending on the track they choose, student are offered several electives in Latin, art, theater, music, and world history.
The Office of College Counseling works as a team with families. Not only do we focus intensely on our students in their senior year, but we also aim to work with all families in the Upper School, so that each feels prepared when the time comes for their student to submit applications. The counseling process is designed to provide specialized guidance through individual student meetings, group sessions, workshops, and visits from college representatives. We are dedicated, supportive, hands-on, available, and invested in each student and family, as well as committed to representing the ISB community to institutions of higher education worldwide. ISB has a strong record of placing students at respected and competitive institutions.
The Media Center, an open space with natural sunlight on the fourth floor, was renovated in 2012 and serves as:
- a library for students and teachers, with 8,000 books in French, English, German, Spanish, and Mandarin
- a place of study and research with 20 Chromebooks and 16 laptops
- an exam center where our students can take National Exams
- a conference/meeting center where guest speakers inform our community on the school curriculum and provide parenting advice
- a concert hall for talented musicians performing or accompanying on a Mason & Hamlin grand piano
- a performance center on special evenings
- and a calm place to relax in comfortable armchairs with magazines or just gazing at the view
Here at ISB we strive to bring technology and learning together in a way that not only provides tools to use but also prepares our students to be better Digital Citizens. From preschool to grade 12, our classrooms are equipped with a variety of resources and tools that enhance lessons and motivate students. In the Elementary School, we have found that iPads are excellent for reinforcing educational concepts such as eye-hand coordination, memory exercises, and shape & color recognition. We provide our Middle & Upper School students with Chromebooks for research, homework, projects, and presentations.