Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB)
Diversity. Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) is critical to ISB’s mission of cultivating excellence in bilingual and multicultural learning defined in our School Mission Statement. We are committed to being an inclusive educational community, where diversity is welcomed and differences are embraced. Our community respects and values members of any race, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, ability, learning profile, language, and cultural background.
As an international school with more than 40 different nationalities, we have a global representation. Yet, this alone is not enough. There is room for us to grow - to better model anti-racism, confront and educate unconscious bias, and to actively challenge systems that enable discrimination. It is our commitment to our community that diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging is a priority at ISB. This is work that we do every day, because we believe in it and because it matters.
At the International School of Boston, our intentional focus on Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging (DEIB) is an essential underpinning of the high-quality education we provide. We strive to ensure that all members of our community feel valued and experience a strong sense of belonging. We honor the diverse backgrounds, languages, identities, abilities, experiences, and perspectives that comprise our community.
We endeavor to develop empathy and prepare our students to thrive in the pluralistic world in which we live. We are committed to equitable access to learning opportunities to the maximum extent possible within our rigorous programs. We recognize that our dedication to DEIB requires an ongoing process of learning, self-reflection, and cross-cultural exchange in our community. We are committed to doing this work.
- DEIB Steering Committee (founded 2019)
- Community Conversations Events in the Upper School
- MS AISNE Students of Color Conference (annually since 2019)
- Student Diversity Leaders Conference (SDLC) (annually since 2017)
- AISNE signature conferences for Faculty and Staff
- Regular Faculty and Staff workshops
- Workshops for Upper and Middle School students
- Opportunities for student led DEIB Initiatives
- Upper and Middle School DEIB clubs
- Creating new and reviewing internal policies with inclusion at the forefront
- Annual World Language Celebration Week (2020)
- Ruby Bridges Walk in November (2022)
- Special Speakers
- Javaka Steptoe, American author and illustrator.
- Derrick Gay, Diversity and Inclusion Strategist.
- Ibram X. Kendi, author, professor, anti-racist activist, and historian of race and discriminatory policy in America.
- Dr. Charmain Jackman, Harvard-trained psychologist with 23+ years in the mental health field. She is the founder of InnoPsych, Inc., an organization on a mission to disrupt racial disparities in mental health.
- Dr. Derrick Gay, international expert on diversity, equity and inclusion in schools and other institutions
- NAIS People of Color Conference, national conference for students, teachers and education leaders
Questions, comments, thoughts, or feedback ? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.